Clones Knot Leaf Crochet Instructions
Materials You Will Need
- Crochet Yarn/Thread
- Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
Gauge: Outer edge of one Clones Knot to outer edge of next Clones Knot = 1 1/4 inch.
Leaf Dimensions (L x W): 6.5″ x 2″
As shown in the image above, I’ve used Scheepjes Catona 100% mercerized cotton yarn with hook size 2/ 2.75 mm. Any DK worsted weight 4-ply or fine crochet yarn with corresponding hook size will do.
If your preference is a more lacy and traditional Irish Crochet result, use mercerized cotton crochet thread size 20, 10, 8, 5, or three.
Note: Keep in mind the size of your yarn, thread, and hook will affect the size of your finished project. Finer crochet threads and yarns will result in smaller leaves but you can add more clones knots to make your leaf the desired length.
Written Pattern Tutorial
Experience Level: Intermediate
Stitches Used: Chain, Single Crochet, Reverse Single Crochet, and Clones Knot
Leaf is worked in four rounds starting from stem and working up the right side of leaf and then down left side. Work is not turned after each round.
- With main color (MC), Chain 22 (first 11 chains count as the stem)
- Work clones knot around last 5 chains as follows
How to crochet a Clones Knot:
While holding your chain firmly, *yarn over, then reach hook under your chain stitches to back, hook yarn and pull loop back under chains to front, repeat from* 6 more times, 7 times total, keep all loops on hook, don’t pull up loops too tightly, after 7th wrap, yarn over and carefully pull loop through all loops on hook (you may have to coax hook through a couple of loops at a time), yarn over and pull through loop on hook, pull yarn firmly to close knot, sl st in 16th chain from beginning chain (6th ch st after working clones knot).
First Clones Knot made! These knots will seem a bit fiddly at first. Don’t worry! You’ll get the hang of them in no time. The key is not to wrap the loops too tight so you can pull more easily through all loops on hook!Christina
- *Ch 11, work 2nd clones knot around last 5 chains from hook as you did in previous step, sl st in 6th ch from previous clones knot. Repeat from * 4 more times. You should have 6 knots total. There should be 5 ch spaces between each knot (out of each 11 chains, 6 are used making a clones knot, 5 should be remaining).
Now we’ll continue with working clones knots down the left side of the leaf, working back down existing chain.
- After sl st you made in chain after making 6th clones knot (this is the knot for the top of leaf), *make a sl st in each of next three chains, ch 5, work clones knot, sl st in next ch st of main stem, sl st in next two chains, sl st in sp under chain in back of next clones knot of previous row (right side). First clones knot on left side of leaf made. Repeat from * 4 more times until you have 5 knots down the left side, 11 knots total.
- Sl st down next five chains of stem. *Ch 5, sc through top of next clone, ch 6, sc in top of next clone, repeat from * 3 more times, next clone should be the 6th top clone, ch 6, sc through lower right side of 6th clone, ch 5, sc through lower left side of same clone, *ch 6, sc in next clone, repeat from * 4 more times, ch 6, sc in top of next clone, ch 6, join with sl st in first chain of chain 5 space.
- Working around right side of stem, 6 sc in next ch 6 space, *work 7 sc in next ch 6 space, repeat from * 4 more times, 5 sc in ch 5 space of top, 6th clone, *7 sc in next ch 6 space, repeat from * 4 more times, 6 sc in last ch 6 space, join with sl st in adjacent sl st on stem.
Round Four – Border
- If Continuing with Main Color (MC), after joining with sl st in previous step, ch 1, do not turn, in last sc you just worked in previous ch 6 space, (you are now working counter-clockwise/left to right) work a reverse single crochet, work a reverse sc in each sc around entire leaf, join with sl st in beginning reverse sc, from here, work a sl st in the 10 chains down to end of stem. In last, 11th ch, work 7 sc, join with sl st in next original ch of stem, fasten off.
- If Changing Colors for the Border as shown in the featured image, do not change to Border Color (BC) yet, continue now with MC with a sl st in next 10 chains down to end of stem. In last, 11th ch, work 7 sc, join with sl st in next original ch of stem, fasten off.
- Attach BC with sl st in joining sl st you made after last sc of ch 6 space of bottom of left side of leaf, (before you worked slip stitches to end of stem), ch 1, work a reverse single crochet in each sc around entire leaf, join to first reverse sc, fasten off and weave in ends.
Woohoo! You now have a beautiful Irish Crochet Clones Knot Leaf 🙂 Great work! I would love to hear how your leaf is coming along and see your photos! Leave questions in the comments, I will be happy to help!Christina